Start-Up Funding for Small Business with Hall Martin
How to seek and secure start-up funding for small business owners with Hall Martin, an entrepreneur and angel investor.
Getting the money to fund our small business start-up is often where we hit a wall. We may not qualify for traditional lending, and we may not have the cash to fund the business ourselves. We hear of tech companies and other entrepreneurs who use Angel Investing or Venture Funding, but that is often not accessible for the typical small business owner outside of the tech world. Hall Martin shares his insights and experiences with Angel Investing. How might we leverage Angel Investors to help us fund our start-up?
Hall Martin is an entrepreneur and the Founder & CEO of TEN Capital – TEN Capital helps startups and growth companies everywhere raise venture funding. Hall launched TEN Capital as the Texas Entrepreneur Networks in 2009. Today, the firm has over 12,000 investors in its network, and has helped startups raise over $900M and counting.
Hall is involved, or has been previously involved, in a series of other organization, including the Baylor Angel Network, Central Texas Angel Network, SKU (Incubation Station), AccelerateNFC, Texas Open Angel Network, and he hosts the Investor Connect podcast series.
Hall also serves as an Adjunct Professor for the University of Texas, leading the “Idea to IP” program, which fosters startups from the engineering program.
Hall lives in Austin, Texas.
Start-Up Funding for Small Business with Hall Martin:
- Hall had a long and successful corporate career before becoming an angel investor.
- Why did you decide to focus on Angel Investing and Venture Funding?
- Why are you a business owner? What does it provide you?
- Please define “Angel Investing”.
- When and why should I consider Angel Investors to fund my start-up?
- Is it always an equity investment or are there alternative deal structures I should consider?
- What about Promissory Notes?
- What are “Early Exit” deal structures?
- Where do I find potential Angel Investors?
- How do I effectively pitch an Angel Investor?
- What do you look for as an Angel Investor? What’s most important?
- What are some common mistakes you observe when it comes to seeking funding from Angel Investors?
- What’s do I need to do before seeking Angel Investors?
- How important is my Business Plan or Pitch Deck?
Episode Host: Henry Lopez is a serial entrepreneur, small business coach, and the host of this episode of The How of Business podcast show – dedicated to helping you start, run and grow your small business.
Books mentioned in this episode:
[We receive commissions for purchases made through these links (more info)].
Other Podcast Episodes:
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship by Peter F. Drucker
You can find other episodes of The How of Business podcast, the best small business podcast, on our Archives page.
This episode of The How of Business podcast is sponsored by LinkedIn Jobs. Get your first posting FREE!
We have received compensation from this sponsor partner. We only accept sponsorships from companies who we believe provide products and services that are valuable for small business owners.