Domain Names for Your Small Business with Andrew Allemann
Choosing and protecting your Domain Name (website address) for your small business with domain expert Andrew Allemann.
Andrew will share his diverse entrepreneurial journey, and his insights and tips on domain names (website addresses, web address, URL, etc.) from a business owner perspective (not too technical!). If you currently have, or need, a website for your small business then this episode is for you!
Andrew Allemann is the founder of PodcastGuests.com, a platform that connects podcasters with guests for their shows. He is also publisher of Domain Name Wire, a trade publication for the domain name industry that has been cited by the Wall Street Journal, Washington Post and NPR.
Andrew lives in Seattle, Washington area
- Andrew studied finance but then shifted into IP (Intellectual Property) licensing. He briefly shares the story of his early career.
- What led you to starting your first small business?
- What led to the interest and developing a business about domains?
- Why did you start PodcastGuests.com?
- When did you know you wanted to be your own boss? Who were early entrepreneurial influences?
- Why are you a business owner? What does it provide you?
- How do you balance the demands of multiple businesses?
- Please introduce what Domain Names are and why I should care about it as a small business owner.
- An address to an online site that uses letter and words (as opposed to a long IP address consisting of numbers that no one can remember).
- What are your recommended general rules for selecting a domain name (and a new business name)?
- Does my business name need to match my domain name?
- If getting found online is going to be important to my business, any tips on how to brainstorm and select a name that’s available?
- Should I consider buying a domain name that someone else already owns (assuming it’s for sale)?
- Is it all about the .com (or .org)?
- When I buy the .com, do you recommend also buying the .org and .net?
- Besides .com, what other extensions should I considers and may be emerging? (.cloud, .store,
- Should I consider variants, like henrylopezsucks.com?
- Urban Myth or not? Is it true that if I search too many times for a domain name, the domain name registrars might buy it before I can and then try to sell it to me?
- How do I buy (rent) a domain name? And renew…
- What is a Domain Registrar?
- A domain name registrar is a for-profit company that allows you to purchase and register domain names. All domain name registrars are accredited by ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers), a non-profit organization responsible for managing domain names.
- What should I consider when selecting a domain registrar?
- Does it matter who I choose?
- Should I also consider the related services they may offer (i.e. website hosting, email services, etc.)
- Pricing (not just the introductory first year price).
- Transfer fees, if any?
- Unnecessary add-on services (may need to watch this will all of them).
- Any domain scams, threats, or misleading/unnecessary services/fees I should be aware of?
- Domain Name Theft (be sure to use 2-factor authentication)
- DNS Abuse Complaints (and the need for backups)
- Registration in China (other other foreign countries)
- Appraisal Scam (Offer to buy your domain at a high price, but first you need to get a appraisal from their preferred appraisal.)
- Do Domain Names matter any more now that everyone uses Google to find my business?
Episode Host: Henry Lopez is a serial entrepreneur, small business coach, and the host of this episode of The How of Business podcast show – dedicated to helping you start, run and grow your small business.
Books mentioned in this episode:
[We receive commissions for purchases made through these links (more info)].
- The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less by Barry Schwartz
Other Resources mentioned in this episode:
- LeanDomainSearch – Find a great available domain name for your website in seconds.