7 Deadly Sins of Speaking with Julian Treasure.
The 7 Deadly Sins of Speaking and how to avoid them to help make you a better communicator, with Julian Treasure.
Julian helps business leaders to listen more consciously, speak more powerfully and use sound more consciously for deeper connections with customers and employees, enhancing both leadership and business outcomes.
Henry Lopez, host of The How of Business podcast, and Julian Treasure introduce and discuss the 7 Deadly Sins of Speaking, inspired by Julian’s TED Talk on “How to speak so that people want to listen.”
Julian Treasure is a sound and communication expert, author and international keynote speaker. His five TED talks have been viewed more than 130 million times, and one of them is the sixth most viewed of all time. He has been widely featured as a sound and communication expert in the world’s media, including TIME Magazine, The Economist, The Times, and many international TV and radio stations and podcasts. He has been honored with both Toastmasters International’s Golden Gavel Award and the International Listening Associations’ Special Recognition award.
He is the author of the books “How to be Heard: Secrets for Powerful Speaking and Listening”.
Julian lives in Kirkwall, Scotland.
Topics and questions covered on this episode of The How of Business podcast include:
Listening and Speaking are skills that can and should be developed by small business owners. Small business owners who develop their communication skills are better able to foster relationships with employees, partners, vendors and others, which can lead to a more successful small business.
- What inspired your vision to “transform the world by inspiring people to listen consciously and speak powerfully.”
- What led you to starting The Sound Agency – an audio branding company that asks and answers the question “how does your brand sound?
- Before we get into speaking, let’s chat about speaking: Why are we losing our listening?
- Listening is “Making meaning from sound.”
- Why does it matter?
- It’s our access to understanding.
- Why should it matter to a small business owner?
- You need to listen consciously to connect fully with you small business clients, employees and partners.
- Every person’s listening is unique.
- We all apply Filters to our listening: These filters include Culture, Language, Values, Beliefs, Attitudes, Expectations, and Intentions.
- 7 Deadly Sins of Speaking: (starting at 21:27)
1. Gossip – speaking ill of someone who is not present.
2. Judging (habitually finding fault)
4. Complaining (a form of negativity)
5. Excuses (don’t take responsibility)
7. Dogmatism (the confusion of facts with opinions)
- Four Powerful Cornerstones of listening:
H.A.I.L. = Honesty (be clear and straight), Authenticity (be yourself), Integrity (be your word), Love (which them well)
Episode Host: Henry Lopez is a serial entrepreneur, small business coach, and the host of this episode of The How of Business podcast show – dedicated to helping you start, run and grow your small business.
Books mentioned in this episode:
[We receive commissions for purchases made through these links (more info)].
- How to be Heard: Secrets for Powerful Speaking and Listening by Julian Treasure
- Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life by Nir Eyal
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain
Other Podcast Episodes:
You can find other episodes of The How of Business podcast, the best small business podcast, on our Archives page.
This episode of The How of Business podcast is sponsored by Double.
Double helps business owners by matching them with a personal assistant and providing the necessary tools to efficiently delegate administrative tasks. Allowing you to focus on what you do best, running your small business. Accepting only 0.5% of applicants, Double’s comprehensive vetting process ensures that your personal assistant knows what they’re doing and can help you save at least 10 hours in just the first month alone!
Go to withdouble.com today and get 50% off your first month when you sign-up with Double using the code HOWBUS22.
We have received compensation from this sponsor partner. We only accept sponsorships from companies who we believe provide products and services that are valuable for small business owners.