Starting Make Bake with Kristina Schlegel.
Starting Make Bake with entrepreneur Kristina Schlegel. Kristina shares her entrepreneurial journey and her experiences launching Make Bake a CPG baking & food craft brand.
Kristina Schlegel is the founder of Make Bake, and creator of Stickies –The Stickers You Can Eat!® “Our patent-pending edible decorating stickers for baking and food crafts are changing the baking game. On-trend designs moms love, fun kids won’t forget.”
Kristina is a creative product & marketing strategist with a 20+ year track record of creating category-defining products and customer experiences that deliver strategic, measurable growth for businesses.
She has worked with Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn Kids, Thumbtack, Babylist, Babycenter, Walgreens, Sephora, Change.org, and Common Sense Media, among others.
She left her corporate life in Silicon Valley to attend the New School of Cooking and then founded Make Bake in 2019, a CPG baking & food craft brand. Her patent-pending edible sugar sticker system created an entirely new product category and is a game changer for busy parents baking at home and professional bakers alike.
Make Bake edible vegan food & baking decoration stickers are sold in 150+ independent retailers and growing in the US & abroad.
Kristina lives in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Get a FREE Sticker Pack with purchase. Use coupon code FREEPACK
Starting Make Bake with Kristina Schlegel:
- On this episode Kristina shares her experiences as she developed her product idea, prototyped the product and brought her product to market.
- You got your undergrad in Sociology and then graduate studies in Public Policy. What did you want to do back then? Did you aspire to own you own business?
- You had a successful career creating category-defining products and customer experiences – what led you to start your first business?
- Please introduce Stickies – “Stickies™ are the ultimate in baking and treat-making fun. Designs you’ll love, fun they won’t forget. Surprise and delight your littles with a one-of-a-kind food craft experience.”
- How did you know this was your “big idea”?
- Why are you a business owner? What does it provide you?
- Kristina is the creator of Stickies –The Stickers You Can Eat!® “Our patent-pending edible decorating stickers for baking and food crafts are changing the baking game. On-trend designs moms love, fun kids won’t forget.”
- How did you fund the launch and then the continued growth of your small business?
- How long from idea to launching the business?
- How did you test or prototype the product?
- When you are trying to create a whole new product category that never existed, how do you validate or gather feedback?
- How long did it take to get to consistent profitability?
- Manufacturing Model: How and where is the product manufactured?
- Your product is now available at 150+ independent retailers in the US & abroad. What was your initial strategy for getting into retailers? How did you get started?
- When is it OK to turn away Walmart, Target, and others?
- What’s next for Make Bake?
Episode Host: Henry Lopez is a serial entrepreneur, small business coach, and the host of this episode of The How of Business podcast show – dedicated to helping you start, run and grow your small business.
Books mentioned in this episode:
[We receive commissions for purchases made through these links (more info)].
Other Podcast Episodes:
You can find other episodes of The How of Business podcast, the best small business podcast, on our Archives page.