Entrepreneurship for Creatives with Walid Azami.
Entrepreneurship for Creatives with Walid Azami. How Walid Azami overcame the challenges of being a refuge to start and grow his photography business.
Walid shares his experiences as a professional photographer – including overcoming the challenges of being an immigrant to build his successful creative business. If you are a creative artist, like a photographer, videography, makeup artist, hair stylist, or any other type of creative content creator – any business where you are turning your creative passion into a small business – then this episode is for you.
Walid Azami is a professional photographer and commercial (and sometime music videos too) director in the Los Angeles area. He is originally from Kabul, Afghanistan. His highly acclaimed work includes the cover of RollingStone Magazine Italia, and he has worked with people like Bob Proctor, Bernie Sanders, Usher, Perry Farrel, Mariah Carey, Kanye West, and Madonna.
As Walid summarizes it, “I help people and companies tell their stories the right way through creative direction, photos and videos.”
Walid has also helped thousands of other photographers and videographers, teaching them how to build a business from scratch by challenging them to get into their genius zone and thriving.
As Henry Lopez, host of The How of Business podcast, explains in this episode: all small businesses are a form of our creative expression. We plan, develop and launch a business into the marketplace and hope that people will respond positively. It’s our creation, and we are always concerned that it may be rejected. Walid Azami is an example of an entrepreneur who might have well been afraid of being rejected, but took action anyway and made it happen with his creative business. As he shares his story, one common theme emerges: he was not afraid of expressing his creativity, trusting his instincts, and making bold moves to grow his business.
Walid lives in Los Angeles, California.
- Please briefly share the story of your early life and immigrating to the USA. Walid is a refugee from Afghanistan.
- When did you know you wanted to be a professional photographer?
- When did you begin to make a business from photography?
- How did you build your portfolio and reputation?
- When did you learn to trust your instincts?
- What were some of your early mistakes related to the business side of things?
- What tips and advice can you share on pricing your product the right way?
- What tips can you share for how to get more clients?
- What are the challenges and advantages of working with celebrities?
- What do celebrities know about managing their brand that small business owners could learn from?
- How do I get started turning my passion and creative skill into a profitable business?
Episode Host: Henry Lopez is a serial entrepreneur, small business coach, and the host of this episode of The How of Business podcast show – dedicated to helping you start, run and grow your small business.
Learn more about Walid’s pricing course and learn how to set the right price for your creative services: PHOTOGRAPHY BUSINESS MARKETPLACE
Books mentioned in this episode:
[We receive commissions for purchases made through these links (more info)].
- Superfans: The Easy Way to Stand Out, Grow Your Tribe, and Build a Successful Business by Pat Flynn
- The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level by Gay Hendricks
Other Podcast Episodes:
You can find other episodes of The How of Business podcast, the best small business podcast, on our Archives page.