Remote-First Small Business with Liam Martin
Remote-first small business (26:19) with Liam Martin, a serial entrepreneur, speaker, writer and co-founder of TimeDoctor, Staff.com and RunningRemote. We begin the conversation with Liam sharing his entrepreneurial journey, how he launched his first small business, and his insights on building and growing a remote-first business.
Liam Martin is a serial entrepreneur, a speaker, writer, and the co-founder of TimeDoctor, Staff.com & RunningRemote. Liam is an expert on the remote business model.
Time Doctor offers time tracking solutions for remote and co-located teams. Staff.com is an outsourcing company that concentrates on providing companies with long term outsourced labor relationships. Running Remote is the world’s largest conference on building & scaling remote teams. Their second event will take place on June 29-30, 2019 in Bali, Indonesia.
Liam lives in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
Topics and questions addressed in this episode of The How of Business podcast include:
- Please define what you mean by a “remote first business”?
- Why should I consider building a remote small business? What are the benefits? (Benefits of hiring talent, without geographic constraints.)
- What types of people is a remote business model best suited for? Both from the small business owner’s, and the employees perspective.
- What types of businesses are ideal for a remote model?
- What are some of the tools you use and recommend for working with and managing a remote team?
- How important is it to have process and business systems in place?
- If you “hire people you like spending time with”, how do you avoid hiring only people who are like you?
- How do you effectively build a culture and communicate your vision in a remote small business?
- What are some of the big challenges with a remote company? What are some of the misconceptions? Communication challenges?
Books mentioned in this episode:
[We receive commissions for purchases made through these links (more info)].
Other Podcast Episodes:
You can find other episodes of The How of Business podcast, the best small business podcast, on our Archives page.