Scaling an eCommerce Small Business Brand with Jordan West
How to scale an eCommerce Small Business Brand with Jordan West (starting at 15:32). From paramedic career to online marketing expert, Jordan shares his journey.
Jordan West is an entrepreneur who started his career as a paramedic. He is currently the co-owner of Little and Lively Clothing, and the owner of Mindful Marketing Co a marketing agency.
When he was 23, he decided to buy a Taco Del Mar franchise restaurant. He knew he had made a huge mistake at 2pm the first day when only 3 customers had walked in…and two of them were his parents! The one thing that he says he was the best at in this restaurant endeavor was the marketing and getting people in the door.
Then in 2014 his wife Carmen started a baby clothing line and was selling at craft markets. Jordan asked if he could test running a few ads on Facebook… and the rest is history. He learned all of the strategies and tactics and helped grow this small start-up to a multi-million-dollar company and still growing! That success with marking led to Jordan founding Mindful Marketing Co. to help scale brands, stores and makers using paid marketing.
Jordan lives in Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada.
Henry Lopez and Jordan West discuss the following topics and questions on this episode of The How of Business podcast, to help you with marketing your ecommerce small business:
- Scaling an eCommerce Small Business Brand with Jordan West.
- Jason started his career as a Paramedic.
- 2011 – 2016 – Purchase an existing Taco Del Mar franchise. For 5 years he worked hard to grow sales every way he could think of and in the end, tripled revenue which still didn’t seem to matter on the profit side.
- 2015 – Co-Owner – Little and Lively Clothing. An online children’s clothing retailer.
- Jordan shares the challenges of working with his wife in her small business.
- 2016 – Agency Owner – Jordan launched Mindful Marketing Co, to leverage the expertise he developed from marketing their business.
- When did you know you wanted to be your own boss? Who were early entrepreneurial influences?
- Jason shares some of the highlights of how they grew Little and Lively Clothing (online kids clothing shop) through their marking efforts, including Facebook ads.
- Jordan explains how they made $250,000 of e-commerce sales in 24 hours without using Facebook ads or discounts!
- What had to be in place first, for these marking campaigns to work?
- Any rules-of-thumb on initial launch marketing budget (as a % of projected revenues)?
- How do I get started if I have no audience or following for my small online business?
- Ecommerce store KPIs – Purchases, Return On Ad Spend (ROAS) – how do you calculate this marketing KPI?
- How your brand is leveraging a Facebook VIP group to sell more to customers you’ve already acquired and how other owners can do the same.
- The mechanics and psychology of gated launches for e-commerce brands.
- What’s working now in eCommerce marketing?
- When you first take on a new client, where do you start?
Episode Host: Henry Lopez is a serial entrepreneur, small business coach, and the host of this episode of The How of Business podcast show – dedicated to helping you start, run and grow your small business. The How of Business is consistently rated as one of the best business podcasts – thanks to YOU for your support.
Books mentioned in this episode:
[We receive commissions for purchases made through these links (more info)].
- Profit First: Transform Your Business from a Cash-Eating Monster to a Money-Making Machine by Mike Michalowicz
Other Podcast Episodes:
Jordan recommended Mike Michalowicz’ book “Profit First“, and Henry Lopez shared that he recently had the opportunity to interview Mike on The How of Business podcast on episode 332:
You can find other episodes of The How of Business podcast, the best small business podcast, on our Archives page.