Deadly Sins of Bookkeeping with Matt Remuzzi
The Deadly Sins of Bookkeeping (starting at 14:55) with Matt Remuzzi, and his entrepreneur journey. Are your financials a mess? Or perhaps you are one of the few small business owners who are caught up on their bookkeeping and everything is up to date. Whether you are planning to start your first business, or you are an existing small business owner, Matt shares some valuable tips and advice on how to avoid some of the most common bookkeeping mistakes.
Learn more about CapForge Bookkeeping services and a special offer here.
Special Offer: When you sign-up for CapForge bookkeeping services, you get 3 Free Months of QuickBooks Online! Use coupon code HOWTOQBO and to learn more click here.
Now is the time to get the help you need with bookkeeping services for your small business. The How of Business has developed an affiliate relationship with CapForge to offer you affordable, professional and reliable bookkeeping services for your small business. This is also a great opportunity to get you started with QuickBooks Online!
Matt Remuzzi is the owner of CapForge Bookkeeping & Tax, a San Diego, California based company he founded in 2000. He earned a BA and an MBA as well as various bookkeeping certifications. He is also a QuickBooks Pro Advisor and an author. His books, “QuickBooks Bookkeeping: The 10 Most Common Mistakes Everyone Makes and How to Fix Them” and “Amazon Seller Bookkeeping” can be found on Amazon. Matt has over 20 years of small business experience and has worked with thousands of business owners over the years including dozens of Amazon business clients.
CapForge offers a range of services for their business clients nationwide, including bookkeeping, taxes, payroll and more.
Matt lives in Carlsbad, California.
Henry Lopez and Matt Remuzzi discuss Matt’s journey and small business bookkeeping, including:
- Please briefly share the story of you career before starting your own small business.
- What led you to start CapForge in 2000?
- When did you know you wanted to be your own boss? Who were early entrepreneurial influences?
- (DISCLAIMER – You should seek your own individual tax and legal counsel before applying any of the tips and techniques discussed in this episode.)
- The Deadly Sins of Bookkeeping:
- Mixing Personal and Business Expenses
- Not Keeping Track of (The Right) Receipts
- Inaccurately Categorizing Expenses
- Skipping Bank Reconciliations
- Inaccurate Financial Reports
- Not Backing Up Bookkeeping Files
- Allowing Multiple Administrative Access to Accounts
- No Bookkeeping Policies and Accounting Procedures
- How can not having accurate and up to date bookkeeping negatively affect my business?
- What questions should I ask to help me find a bookkeeper?
- When do I need a Bookkeeper and then do I need an CPA?
- What do you say to business owners who say “I am not a numbers person. I just check the bank account at the end of the month to see how much cash I have.”
- What are some of the first critical steps to either preparing for my business bookkeeping, or taking control of my current bookkeeping mess?
- Even if I have a Bookkeeper, what should I still be responsible for or monitor as the owner?
Episode Host: Henry Lopez is a serial entrepreneur, small business coach, and the host of this episode of The How of Business podcast show – dedicated to helping you start, run and grow your small business.
Books mentioned in this episode:
[We receive commissions for purchases made through these links (more info)].
- The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It by Michael E. Gerber
Other Podcast Episodes:
You can find other episodes of The How of Business podcast, the best small business podcast, on our Archives page.