Developing & Launching the Nuudii System Garment with Annette Azan
How Annette Azan developed and launched her Nuudii System garment. Annette Azan shares her entrepreneur journey and the story of developing, launching and growing her garment business.
How do you go from a garment idea, to over $1 million in annual sales and featured on Pop-In@Nordstrom? Annette is with me today to share her fascinating journey in the fashion industry and how she launched Nuudii System – a retailer of undergarment solutions for women.
Annette Azan is a 25-year fashion industry veteran, and a graduate of the Fashion Institute of Technology. Annette worked with fashion risk-takers including Diane Benson, Norma Karmali and Donna Karan, launching, developing and driving sales for brands such as Urban Zen, Diane B. and Episode. Inspired by her own need for something to wear under her wedding dress – one that fit and made her still feel like herself – Annette sewed the first Nuudii in 2011 and launched the product in 2019. Nuudii System is creating a new category – between bra and braless.
Annette lives in Brooklyn, New York.
Special Discount: 15% OFF for The How of Business podcast listeners – use promo code HOWOFBIZ15 – Buy online at Nuudii Systems
Developing & Launching the Nuudii System Garment with Annette Azan:
- Fashion Institute of Technology graduate – Annette shares her career highlights after school.
- 2001-2006 – Owned a retail boutique. What did you learn about the bricks-and-mortar fashion retail business?
- 2006-2010 – Worked for Donna Karan developing Urban Zen retail locations.
- 2010-1016 – Annette Azan Design – interior design and styling small business.
- “Say Yes” – Annette explains on of her philosophies in life.
- When did you know you wanted to be your own boss? Who were early entrepreneurial influences?
- Please share how you came up with the idea for the Nuudii garment.
- How long did you think about and develop the idea? What was your ideation process?
- How long from initial idea or design, to selling your first garment?
- How have you funded this business?
- First launched on Kickstarter in 2019.
- Sold about $750,000 of merchandise in 30 days.
- How did you develop the prototype?
- How did you find the right manufacturer and what is the manufacturing process now?
- What’s the current distribution model?
- Pop-In@Nordstrom (in Q1 2021)
- Please share your experience in the XRC Labs retail accelerator program.
- What is your recommendation for someone with an idea for a garment product?
- What’s next for Nuudii?
- “Annette hopes for Nuudii System to one day be available via vending machines in spas, airports and other retail spaces for women to access on-the-go.”
Episode Host: Henry Lopez is a serial entrepreneur, small business coach, and the host of this episode of The How of Business podcast show – dedicated to helping you start, run and grow your small business.
Books mentioned in this episode:
[We receive commissions for purchases made through these links (more info)].
- Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell
- Startups and Downs: The Secrets of Resilient Entrepreneurs by Mona Bijoor
Other Related Podcast Episodes:
You can find other episodes of The How of Business podcast, the best small business podcast, on our Archives page.
This episode of The How of Business podcast is sponsored by GoSite. GoSite is the #1 digital platform to help you grow your small business. Make it easy for customers to find, book, and pay for your services with one simple app. Get started for FREE!
We have received compensation from this sponsor partner. We only accept sponsorships from companies who we believe provide products and services that are valuable for small business owners.