David Begin’s Entrepreneurship Success Story
David Begin shares his entrepreneurship success story, including transitioning from a corporate career to building a highly successful car wash business.
David Begin is a successful entrepreneur, Henry’s friend and business partner, and former co-host of this podcast. David is the founder of Carwash OS and Begin Insights. In 2006 David launched his first business, an exterior-express carwash operation, after a successful career in enterprise software sales, sales management, and sales training.
Henry Lopez joined David in 2016 as an investor and minority partner in his third car wash location in Colorado. And in 2019, all three carwashes were sold – a significant financial and personal event for David.
David built one of the top performing carwash businesses in the country – through hard work, perseverance, determination, and smarts.
David lives in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
David Begin’s Entrepreneurship Success Story:
- Why did you decide to start your own business?
- When did you know you wanted to be your own boss? Who were early entrepreneurial influences?
- Starting a business in an industry you have no experience? Why did you choose the carwash business?
- What were some of the challenges and advantages of transitioning from a corporate environment to small business ownership?
- What have you learned about business – what are the keys to business success in your opinion and experience?
- What are the traits of successful entrepreneurs?
- Did you have an exit plan when you first started your business, or did you think it would be a multi-generational business?
- Why did you decide to sell?
- What surprised you the most about the experience of selling your business?
- How have you adjusted to not having your business as a major part of your life and perhaps your identity?
- If you were starting over, what are some things you might do differently?
- What did you enjoy most about being a business owner?
- What advice do you have for others about starting a small business?
- What are you doing now?
- Do you ever plan to retire, in the traditional sense?
Episode Host: Henry Lopez is a serial entrepreneur, small business coach, and the host of this episode of The How of Business podcast show – dedicated to helping you start, run and grow your small business.
Books mentioned in this episode:
[We receive commissions for purchases made through these links (more info)].
- Ego Is the Enemy by Ryan Holiday
- The Obstacle Is the Way: The Timeless Art of Turning Trials into Triumph by Ryan Holiday
- Thinking in Bets: Making Smarter Decisions When You Don’t Have All the Facts by Annie Duke
Other Podcast Episodes:
You can find other episodes of The How of Business podcast, the best small business podcast, on our Archives page.
This episode of The How of Business podcast is sponsored by Stroke of Genius podcast show. Season 4 is now available! This season shares some of the most important stories in IP today, not just about the rules of patents, trademarks, and copyrights, but about the role IP has played in shaping our world and how our world has shaped IP. They chat with entrepreneurs and innovators who have used intellectual property protections to positively affect issues like COVID-19, food deserts, and everything in between. Join the Stroke of Genius as they dig deeper into the journeys of the world’s most influential difference-makers.
We have received compensation from this sponsor partner. We only accept sponsorships from companies who we believe provide products and services that are valuable for small business owners.