Business Ideas with Entrepreneur Norman Crowley
How to develop new small business ideas with serial entrepreneur Norman Crowley. Norman also shares his inspiring entrepreneurial journey.
How do we come up with great business ideas? Is the idea the easy part, and execution the harder part? How do you determine if you have a good idea for a small business? I am fortunate to be joined today by an inspirational entrepreneur. Norman started his first business at age 16 and went on to establish and sell various highly successful international businesses. On this episode Henry Lopez explores the highlights of Norman’s fascinating entrepreneurial career, and then ask him to share his thoughts and experiences on business ideas.
Norman Crowley is an entrepreneur and the founder of Crowley Carbon – Crowley Carbon is an engineering services company that specializes in helping manufacturing companies and commercial buildings achieve net zero carbon – and he is also the founder and CEO of Cool Planet Group – Cool Planet Group uncovers the business opportunities in tackling climate change.
Norman is an inspirational international entrepreneur who founded multiple successful businesses including The Cloud – Europe’s largest WIFI operator, Inspired Gaming Group – the world’s largest company in the server-based gaming domain, Trinity Commerce – one of the first eCommerce services companies in the world and most recently, Crowley Carbon.
Norman is among one of Irelands top entrepreneur’s and was nominated in the 2011 Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year. More impressively, he is recognized by clients and colleagues as a consummate professional with a high degree of personal integrity. His is known for a contagious passion for excellence, a talent for resourceful business solutions, and a capacity for motivational leadership.
Norman lives in Ireland.
“Just begin! The customer will fix your idea very quickly. It’s much more about execution than the idea.” – Norman Crowley
Business Ideas with Entrepreneur Norman Crowley – topics and questions covered on this episode:
- He started with a Welding Business. His dad taught him how to weld on the farm. He sold the business at age 20.
- His Tech Company was next – Trinity Commerce. Early adopter of the internet. Sold in 1999.
- He started a Gaming Business – Inspired Gaming Group – using technology to disrupt this industry.
- “I think it’s better to go to school (university) if you can.” Norman shares his thoughts on the value of attending university and why he advised his daughters to do so.
- When did you know you wanted to be your own boss? Who were early entrepreneurial influences?
- His first business was so successful that he retired as a multi-millionaire at the age of 28. He discovered his dream of early retirement wasn’t what he thought it would be and came out of retirement after three months.
- What drives you now – what are you most passionate about?
- Why the focus for you on the environment and climate change?
- How do you develop new business ideas? How do you know if it’s a good idea?
“Is this idea you are doing – could it impact a billion people?” Are you aiming big enough, and if not, then why not?
- Is it the idea or the execution, or both?
- What’s are your thoughts and experiences with partners or co-founders?
- What’s the role of luck in achieving success with a particular business idea?
- What is one important lesson about business that you often share with aspiring entrepreneurs?
(“It’s all about managing and motivating people.”)
- Norman Crowley’s advice for small business owners: His rules for success for life and business are the same as the rules for walking on hot coals (Norman shares this story in this interview):
- 1. Your positive Mindset:
- Filling your mind with happy thoughts.
- Avoid negative people. Associate with people who are optimistic.
- 2. Be clear about your destination. Having goals and communicating (it’s the necessary activation, and it takes courage) them publicly.
- 3. Keep Walking! Life and business is tough, and you have to keep walking to achieve success.
- 1. Your positive Mindset:
What’s your advice for an aspiring entrepreneur who is struggling to find the right idea?
Episode Host: Henry Lopez is a serial entrepreneur, small business coach, and the host of this episode of The How of Business podcast show – dedicated to helping you start, run and grow your small business.
Books mentioned in this episode:
[We receive commissions for purchases made through these links (more info)].
- Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion and Purpose by Tony Hsieh
- The Hard Thing About Hard Things: Building a Business When There Are No Easy Answers by Ben Horowitz
- Blowout: Corrupted Democracy, Rogue State Russia, and the Richest, Most Destructive Industry on Earth by Rachel Maddow
Other Podcast Episodes:
You can find other episodes of The How of Business podcast, the best small business podcast, on our Archives page.
This episode of The How of Business podcast is sponsored by Giuseppe Grammatico – The Franchise Guide:
We have received compensation from this sponsor partner. We only accept sponsorships from companies who we believe provide products and services that are valuable for small business owners.