Hire Better to Grow Your Small Business with Kurt Wilkin.
How to hire better to grow your small business with Kurt Wilkin. Kurt also shares his entrepreneur journey, and insights and tips on how to Hire Better to help us launch, run and grow a small business.
Kurt Wilkin is a gifted connector—of dots, ideas, and people. For the past thirty years, he has advised high-growth companies, starting his career with Ernst & Young, and today in his roles as co-founder and visionary of HireBetter and managing partner of Bee Cave Capital.
HireBetter is a national recruiting firm working directly with leaders of high-growth companies to build game-changing teams.
He is a serial entrepreneur with multiple successful exits and has helped hundreds of entrepreneurs and CEOs build their companies.
Kurt lives in Austin, Texas.
Hire Better to Grow Your Small Business with Kurt Wilkin:
- Please share a brief summary of your early career in finance, before starting your first small business.
- What was your first business, and what led to launching it?
- Why are you a business owner? What does it provide you?
- Why the focus on the recruitment and hiring?
- Please introduce the fundamental concepts of Hiring Better, and how it may apply to a small business owner.
- What can a small business owner learn from large corporations about recruitment and the hiring process?
- Please share what you believe is the ideal high-level recruiting and hiring process (particularly the interview process).
- What are some common mistakes you have observed?
- What are your thoughts on using assessment tools like Kolbe or Predictive Index to help with evaluating candidates?
- What’s one of your favorite interview questions?
- Kurt prefers behavioral type questions, like “tell me about a time when…”
- What’s one interview question you hate?
- Do I need to sell the employment opportunity as much as the candidate needs to sell me on their qualifications?
- What are your thoughts on the “Great Resignation”?
- What small business owners can do to attract more qualified candidates?
- What matters most to employment candidates?
- What do I need to understand about hiring younger workers? They are looking for more that just a paycheck – they are also searching for meaning and purpose.
- As an EOS (Entrepreneur Operating System) practitioner yourself, please share some thoughts on hiring an Integrator.
- Why do you believe the recruiting industry is fundamentally broken?
- How can a small business owner leverage the benefits of working with a recruiter?
- As a small business, where should I start with hiring better?
Episode Host: Henry Lopez is a serial entrepreneur, small business coach, and the host of this episode of The How of Business podcast show – dedicated to helping you start, run and grow your small business.
Books mentioned in this episode:
[We receive commissions for purchases made through these links (more info)].
- Rocket Fuel: The One Essential Combination That Will Get You More of What You Want from Your Business by Gino Wickman and Mark C. Winters
Other Podcast Episodes:
You can find other episodes of The How of Business podcast, the best small business podcast, on our Archives page.