Conflict Resolution with Christy Foley
Conflict Resolution strategies and tactics for small business owners with attorney Christy Foley.
As a business owner we often must deal with conflicts of different types, intensity, and significance. On this episodes, Christy Foley shares some valuable insights on how we may be able to resolve or avoid some of the common conflicts we may face in our small business.
Christy L. Foley is an attorney, mediator, and arbitrator who has dedicated her professional career to teaching others about conflict resolution, mediation ethics, and e-mediation techniques. As a teacher at heart, she loves teaching groups how to create peace in their workplace.
She is licensed to practice law in both New York and Florida. She also manages an entertainment and small business law firm in Central Florida called The Law Office of Christy L. Foley, and is the founder and mediator of E-Mediation Services – which facilitates virtual mediations to help people mediate quickly and conveniently. She also currently serves as a Visiting Lecturer at the University of Central Florida.
Christy lives in Orlando, Florida.
[LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Henry Lopez is not an attorney, and Christy Foley may not be your attorney. Please be sure to seek your own legal guidance from your attorney before taking action on anything shared in this episode. Read our full Disclaimer.]
Conflict Resolution with Christy Foley:
- When did you know you wanted to be an attorney and why?
- Did you always plan to have your own firm?
- Why are you a small business owner? What does it provide you?
- Let’s please start by having you share a high-level introduction to Conflict Resolution for small business owners. A business conflict does not always have to lead to legal action, and often can be resolved through conflict resolution alternatives, correct?
- How does Mediation work and when can it be used to possibly resolve a conflict?
- How is it different from Arbitration?
- Can the results or resolutions be legally binding?
- What is the role of the Mediator?
- How does E-Mediation work?
- Overall, what are some common mistakes or misconceptions related to conflict resolution in small businesses?
- Specific areas of potential conflict resolution, and avoidance, for small business owners to discuss:
- Business Partnerships
- If I am in a bad partnership, how should I begin to try to end it?
- Contracts with Suppliers
- Lease Agreements
- Employee Contracts
- Contractor Agreements
- Intellectual Property
- Please share some tips on how to find the right attorney, or mediator, to help me with resolving a business conflict.
- General tips on resolving conflict?
Episode Host: Henry Lopez is a serial entrepreneur, small business coach, and the host of this episode of The How of Business podcast show – dedicated to helping you start, run and grow your small business.
Books mentioned in this episode:
[We receive commissions for purchases made through these links (more info)].
- Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In by Roger Fisher, William L. Ury, Bruce Patton
Related Podcast Episodes:
You can find other episodes of The How of Business podcast, the best small business podcast, on our Archives page.
This episode of The How of Business podcast is sponsored by Roll by ADP. See how easy it is to run small business payroll (and more) with Roll by ADP.
We have received compensation from this sponsor partner. We only accept sponsorships from companies who we believe provide products and services that are valuable for small business owners.