Hire Higher with Andrea Hoffer.
Hire Higher – how to attract, interview, and grow your small business dream team with entrepreneur Andrea Hoffer.
Andrea shares her experiences and expertise on the topic of Hiring. She shares her proven strategies and a proactive approach to hiring, so you can hire the best person possible for your small business. She started her career in higher education, and also shares the story of her early career and transition to owning her first franchise business.
Andrea Hoffer knows that great businesses are built on strong teams. That’s why she founded AHA! Recruiting Experts, a company dedicated to helping leaders and small business owners attract and retain the best people for their companies so they can focus solely on what really matters – growing their small business. Andrea is a businesswoman with over three decades of experience. She’s managed hundreds of employees and knows first-hand the everyday challenges of motivating a team, exceeding customer expectations, and meeting business and revenue goals. As a small business owner, she struggled with high turnover and lack of good candidates. After some research into hiring best practices from around the world – including a lot of trial and error – she perfected a hiring process that gets results.
Andrea is the host of the “Home Run Hiring” podcast, and the author of “Hire Higher – how to attract, interview, and grow your dream team.”
Andrea lives in Boca Raton, Florida.
Hire Higher with Andrea Hoffer:
- Andrea briefly shares her story of her early career in higher education.
- She was a Massage Envy franchise owner for 9 years.
- Started AHA! Recruiting Experts in 2014. What led you to start this small business?
- When did you know you wanted to be your own boss? Who were early entrepreneurial influences?
- Why are you a business owner? What does it provide you?
- Why do so many small businesses struggle with high turnover?
- How do we discover and describe who you truly need hire?
- Andrea explains the value of Employer Branding on social media.
- How do we attract our ideal candidates, so they truly want to join our team?
- What are some of the best places online for a job posting (LinkedIn Jobs, Indeed, Craigslist, etc.)?
- What about referrals?
- How can we connect or attract people who are not actively looking?
- Why should I consider using a recruiter?
- What should I look for in a recruiter?
- What are some common mistakes small business owners make with job postings? What do they not include that they should, and what do they include that they should not?
- How do we screen for and identify the best candidates for our small business?
- What is you recommended screening/interviewing process?
- What are one or two of your favorite interview questions?
- “Can you share a specific example of a time when…”
- Don’t add “and how did you resolve it…”
- What are your thoughts on assessment tools?
- Andres explains how to use “One-Way Interviews” as a candidate screening approach earlier in the process.
- She also recommends using videos to communicate the culture of your company and some of the reasons they would want to join your business.
- How do we make a job offer that the best candidates will accept and be excited about?
- How can our Onboarding process set us up for long-term success?
- What are some other common hiring mistakes small business owners make and how can we avoid them?
Episode Host: Henry Lopez is a serial entrepreneur, small business coach, and the host of this episode of The How of Business podcast show – dedicated to helping you start, run and grow your small business.
Books mentioned in this episode:
[We receive commissions for purchases made through these links (more info)].
- Hire Higher: How To Attract, Interview & Grow Your Dream Team by Andrea Hoffer
- Hiring for Attitude: A Revolutionary Approach to Recruiting and Selecting People with Both Tremendous Skills and Superb Attitude by Mark Murphy
Other Podcast Episodes:
You can find other episodes of The How of Business podcast, the best small business podcast, on our Archives page.