Legal Protection for Your Small Business with Christina Scalera
How to legally protect your small business with Christina Scalera, an attorney and small business owner who fully enjoys the freedom of location. She is the founder of The Contract Shop, and on this episode she shares her experiences – from practicing law to starting her own business.
[LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Henry Lopez is not an attorney, and Christina Scalera may not be your attorney. Please be sure to seek your own legal guidance from your attorney before taking action on anything shared in this episode. Read our full Disclaimer.]
Christina is the attorney and founder behind The Contract Shop, a contract template store for creative entrepreneurs, wedding professionals, and coaches.
Three years ago, Christina found herself dreaming of pursuing a more creative path, and she started to look for alternatives to her in-house legal job. She explored everything from teaching yoga to becoming a freelance graphic designer to opening an Etsy shop. In the process, she ended up coming full circle by creating a business that brought the benefit of her legal training to help her fellow creatives.
When she’s not staring at a computer or awkwardly standing on café chairs for the perfect overhead latte photo, you can find her in the woods doing things that are sometimes dangerous but always fun, like riding horses, skiing and reluctantly camping.
Christina grew up in McKinney Texas, but now lives in Lives in Silverthorne, CO and Atlanta, GA
Contracts & Protecting Your Work:
- Why online business owners, in particular, should flip everything they think they know about using contracts? What are we getting wrong or what are we missing as small business owners?
- Please share the hard lesson you learned about contracts when you launched your own small business.
- How do we legally protect our work? When do we need to do so?
- Why and how are contracts a tool to build relationships, rather than a barrier?
- When do you know you need a contract for your small business?
- What are the risks of not using a contract?
- Does a new business owner need to hire an attorney to make their business legally legit?
- Why shouldn’t a new business build their own contract, or use a free template off the web?
- What do you do if a potential client is dragging their feet about not signing their contract? How can you move the process along, without losing the client?
[We receive commissions for purchases made through these links (more info)].
Books mentioned in this episode:
Find all episodes of The How of Business podcast, the top-rated best show for small business owners, on our Archives page.