Starting & Growing a Consulting Business with Michael Zipursky
Starting & Growing a Consulting Business with Michael Zipursky, an entrepreneur, author and podcaster. He shares his life journey, working with family, and how to start and build a consulting business.
Michael is the CEO of Consulting Success and Coach to Elite Consultants. He has advised organizations like Financial Times, Dow Jones, RBC, Omron, Sumitomo and helped Panasonic launch new products into global markets, but more importantly, he’s helped over 300 consultants from around the world in over 50 industries add six and seven figures to their annual revenues and over 33,000 consultants read his weekly consulting newsletter.
Michael has been building consulting businesses for over 18 years, has started 6 companies, and sold two small businesses.
Michael is the author of 4 different books, and his latest is the Amazon Best Seller “The Elite Consulting Mind”. He is also the host his podcast show, “Consulting Success Podcast”.
Michael lives in Vancouver, Canada.
Starting & Growing a Consulting Business with Michael Zipursky:
- What advice do you have for someone who is planning to start their first consulting business (they are likely in a corporate job now)?
- What are the skills that they may be missing?
- When do you know if you are ready to launch a consulting small business?
- Do you usually recommend starting as a side-business or side-hustle?
- For the solo-consultant or small firm, any tips & advice on balancing delivery of services with sales efforts (consistent lead flow)?
- How do you decide when it’s time to hire more consultants?
- Hire employees vs. Sub-Contract?
- How is the “Consulting Success” approach different?
- What keeps consultants from earning higher fees?
- How to win more consulting business:
Don’t focus on the close
Focus on what comes before the sale (identify the value)
Ask the right questions (examples of the right questions?)
Get Them to Confirm & Agree
Then Make Your Offer
- Free Resources: Start a Consulting Business
Books mentioned in this episode:
[We receive commissions for purchases made through these links (more info)].
Other Podcast Episodes:
You can find other episodes of The How of Business podcast, the best small business podcast, on our Archives page.