Tough Conversations with David Wood
David Wood is a business owner, coach, author and the founder of Play for Real and Tough Conversations International. David is a former Consulting Actuary to Fortune 100 companies, and he left his cushy Park Avenue job 20 years ago to build the world’s largest coaching business. He became #1 on Google for “life coaching”, serving an audience of 150,000 coaches, and coaching thousands of hours across 12 countries.
Alongside his clients’ successes, David is no stranger to overcoming challenges himself, having overcome a full collapse of his paraglider and a fractured spine, witnessing the death of his sister at age seven, severe anxiety and depression, and a national Gong Show!
David believes that the tough conversations we avoid, are our doorways to confidence, success, and love. They become the defining moments which shape our world. He coaches high performing entrepreneurs, executives and teams – and now prison inmates – to create amazing results and deep connection. One tough conversation at a time.
He is also the host of the Tough Conversations Podcast with David Wood.
David lives in Boulder, Colorado.
Topics and questions covered in this episode include:
- Why do we need to learn how to have tough conversations? How does it help us grow our small business?
- Why do most people avoid tough conversations?
- How do we have tough conversations to help us manage our small business?
- Dave introduces The Tough Conversations Worksheet and Tough Conversations Blueprint tools.
- How to Prepare for the tough conversation – 4 Steps:
- 1- Ask for permission
- 2- Express Fear or Concern (optional)
- 3- Share the Issue – What is it? Include the request.
- 4- Be Curious. Take a learning stance.
- Tough Conversations with employees, business partners, spouse or partner, or vendor.
Episode Host: Henry Lopez is a serial entrepreneur, small business coach, and the host of this episode of The How of Business podcast show – dedicated to helping you start, run and grow your small business.
Books mentioned in this episode:
[We receive commissions for purchases made through these links (more info)].
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson
Other Podcast Episodes:
You can find other episodes of The How of Business podcast, the best small business podcast, on our Archives page.