Subconscious Buying Triggers with Leslie Zane
Using Subconscious Buying Triggers in Marketing your Small Business (starting at 16:34) with Leslie Zane. She also shares her entrepreneur story, from her successful career in brand marketing and management to launching her own firm.
Leslie Zane is an expert on consumer behaviors, and the President & Founder of Triggers Growth Strategy – Triggers is a brand strategy and innovation firm connecting brands with consumers in unprecedented ways. She helps her clients change customer behavior at the instinctual level to accelerate share and revenue growth.
Working in brand management for blue chip companies throughout her successful corporate career, Leslie found success to be remarkably hit or miss. So she struck out on her own and founded Triggers to help companies create consistent success.
Leslie lives in Armonk, New York.
Topics and questions addressed in this episode of The How of Business include:
- Leslie received her BA from Yale University and her MBA from Harvard Business School. History of Art degree from Yale – what did you think you wanted to be when you grew up?
- Why did you decide to focus on brand management career?
- What led you to the launching of Triggers Growth Strategy?
- When did you know you wanted to be your own boss? Who were early entrepreneurial influences?
- What is the difference between conscious and sub-conscious marketing for small business?
- Please introduce this approach to understanding why consumers make certain buying choices. Please introduce the concept of the Brand Connectome.
- Would you please provide an example of how this works – how consumers behave as a result of these sub-conscious connections with a brand?
- How are the large brands applying this approach to branding and marketing?
- What is the “Subconscious Advantage” and how do you get it?
- How should this then influence our approach to marketing, particularly for a small business with limited resources?
- How is it different from traditional conscious marketing?
- “Consumers are skeptical creatures and when you tell them a product is superior, their antennae go up along with their barriers. But identifying a brand’s specific TRIGGERS® enables marketers to leverage positive associations consumers already have in their minds, making them far more likely to buy.” Would you please share an example of how this?
- How are customers’ instincts changing during COVID?
- What are your recommendations for retail companies or restaurants related to COVID?
- How can a small company, or solo-preneur, put this into practice? Where do we start?
Episode Host: Henry Lopez is a serial entrepreneur, small business coach, and the host of this episode of The How of Business podcast show – dedicated to helping you start, run and grow your small business.
- 5 New Rules of Marketing – free download from Leslie Zane.
Books mentioned in this episode:
[We receive commissions for purchases made through these links (more info)].
- Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
Other Podcast Episodes:
You can find other episodes of The How of Business podcast, the best small business podcast, on our Archives page. The How of Business podcast helps you start your first business and how to grow a successful and profitable small business.